How to Survive Flu Season
It often starts with feeling a little sleepy or lethargic and before you know it, you’ve got the flu and it’s too late!
The flu is highly contagious and those affected can spread it from the day before you even start showing symptoms up to a week after developing symptoms.
It’s awful, often debilitating, sometimes known as ‘man-flu’ and can steal us away from our lives at what feels like the worst possible times! So, what else do we know about it?
- It was responsible for 1,100 deaths in Australia in 2017.
- It can cause serious complications such as pneumonia, especially in the elderly, young children, people with long term medical conditions and pregnant women.
- It can increase your chance of heart attack or stroke.
- The flu vaccination doesn’t contain any live virus that can give you the flu.
Some tips to keep yourself and others protected
- Get an annual vaccination from your healthcare professional.
- Stay home if you’ve got the flu and avoid being around others.
- If you need to cough, do so into the inside of your elbow/sleeve or tissue.
- Wash your hands regularly.
Think you have the flu? Most people recover on their own, just make sure you rest up and stay hydrated. If you’re worried you should seek advice from a medical professional and always call 000 in an emergency. See Better Health for more information and advice.
With a whole lot of crying and feeding going on, all newborn babies will experience wind and burping can be done in a number of different ways.
Both Alex and Jane have been on very different journeys with their bubs so far, but both can agree that the time has absolutely flown and they understand when parents say "where has my baby gone?"
Every mum and bub will have a unique breastfeeding situation. For mums who are breastfeeding, we’ve got some tips that might help get the milk flowing.
There are a number of reasons for rib pain during pregnancy, including your baby kicking your insides - it’s out of love, we’re sure! We’ve got some tips on how to relieve the discomfort.
Epworth HealthCare is very pleased to announce that it recently received the largest benefaction since it was first established in Richmond in 1920, enabling the purchase Epworth campuses six X model da Vinci robots, and new surgical equipment for multiple Epworth sites.